By Bob Centa, President of PMI Industries
The start of a new year is a wonderful opportunity to express appreciation, reflect on past accomplishments, and look forward to the future. At PMI Industries, we have many reasons to be proud of the work we are doing and the value and opportunities this creates for our key stakeholders.
Our business provides engineered protection solutions for underwater marine cable connectors and subsea cable terminations, including assemblies and hardware that are used in electrical, optical, pressure, and mechanical applications. The solutions we create enable us to service customers around the world through the four different markets in which we operate. We look forward to building upon the strength of these relationships as we embark on our 40th year in business.
Acknowledging PMI’s relationships
PMI’s key stakeholders include our shareholders, employees, suppliers, and customers. We appreciate our shareholders, who provide support when needed and the autonomy to think and act for the long-term health and growth of the business. We are thankful for our employees, who embody a “can-do” attitude and deserve thanks because of the ways in which they embrace new opportunities presented by our customers and help us meet daily operational challenges. We are indebted to our suppliers for their critical inputs, helping us meet the needs of our customers and/or our own operations.
We are grateful to our customers, many of which have done business with PMI for decades. Whether old or new, our customers can count on our subsea cable engineering experts to design, manufacture, and test cable systems for impact and abrasion protection, to prevent bending and provide strain relief, and for dynamic and static cable protection.
Gaining momentum in 2023
We made improvements and changes in 2023 designed to better serve our customers and position us for growth. Among our biggest accomplishments were:
- Facilities upgrade – PMI relocated to a larger, state-of-the-art facility early in 2023. The new space allows us to better address customers’ needs and requirements through operational efficiencies and improved manufacturing and testing processes. The facility offers added bonuses, which include:
- Activating sustainable manufacturing processes that conserve energy and natural resources, such as LED lighting
- Improving ingress and egress for our customers and suppliers
- Positively impacting employee retention and recruitment
- Our people – Key additions in engineering, quality control, accounting, and production were made to an already dedicated team. Each member of the PMI team is making significant contributions to meet, and exceed, our customers’ expectations. You can meet two of them, Rich Sinkovic and Terrence Mathis, who were featured in recent stories on our website and social media.
- New products – A customer referral brought together our sales, engineering, supply chain, production, and quality control teams to provide a solution to a new challenge. The PMI team did an outstanding job in satisfying the customer and exceeding their requirements. Additionally, this product has the potential to cross over into many other applications. The project was a perfect example of PMI at its finest in terms of how we meet the unique needs of our customers, despite significant challenges.
- Our services – We took the opportunity to better communicate the extensive testing capabilities we offer. With the growth in the diameter of and materials used in cables, we have been reminding customers and interested cable manufacturers about PMI’s in-house dynamic cable testing and analysis. It provides an extra confidence boost with their cable system components and the integrity of the complete system.
- New markets – We successfully completed production of a new renewable energy product and collaborated with the customer during installation. As the world seeks alternatives to meet global energy needs, PMI is excited about the growth prospects this market offers.
- Improved communications – Significant enhancements made to our website and social medial channels have made them more informative and user friendly. We are regularly updating our LinkedIn and X (formerly Twitter) accounts with interesting content and encourage you to check it out.
Building new opportunities in 2024
We are excited about what 2024 holds. We enter the year leveraging our solid foundation, which allows us to better meet the needs of our customers and deliver existing products while creating new ones in the markets we serve.
Two key areas on which PMI is focused in 2024 are:
- Customer and supplier engagement – While we realize the world has changed due to the global pandemic, we feel strongly about the importance of relationships. We remain committed to meeting customers and suppliers whenever possible, whether at trade shows, their place of business, or anywhere else in the world.
- Processes – With the core infrastructure firmly in place, our last big initiative is the replacement of our Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems. Replacing our ERP system is not just an update; it’s a strategic move towards future-proofing our business operations, enhancing efficiency, and maintaining our competitive edge in the market.
We would love to hear from you. Please contact us if you have any questions or if there is anything we can do for you.